Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The QA; Quieted Angst

In Beth Moore's 'Living Beyond Yourself' workbook she mentions her son Michael of disproportionate physical structure because prior to his adoption he was emotionally challenged. Her description of his inability to cry and how it had mis-shaped his body moved me. I remember my own stubbornness as a child; my insistence on not crying. She shared the verse in Zephaniah 3:17 that tells us that God will quiet us with his love. How utterly awesome is that. He keeps our tears; should I value them less? As children grow up they begin to shun the hugs and displays of 'cords of kindness' of their parents; cast away emotional signs of weakness. But God doesn't discontinue being our parent. Often there is a longing to return to those childish allowances of such love - that assurance of quiet. This place we visit is full of angst, like some wearisome stalker from day to day - with worry for tomorrow, for ourselves, things of this world. Some drown in it while others shut themselves away more imprisoned than before. Some wash away in the swell of it never to return or perchance to get beached on some distant shore. I like walls. But I find even if they have windows, I am disabled from participating - a self-condemned vicarious voyeur, window shopper, wall flower. When did I think I could quiet my spirit better than God? It is neither to get washed away, hide nor lose ourselves in this heaven bound journey, but to take the hand of the Master and allow ourselves to be led with 'cords of kindness and ties of love'. "Blest be the tie that binds Our hearts in Christian love; The fellowship of kindred minds Is like to that above. Before our Father’s throne pour our ardent prayers; Our fears, our hopes, our aims are one Our comforts and our cares. We share each other’s woes, Our mutual burdens bear; And often for each other flows The sympathizing tear. When we asunder part, It gives us inward pain; But we shall still be joined in heart, And hope to meet again. This glorious hope revives Our courage by the way; While each in expectation lives, And longs to see the day. From sorrow, toil and pain, And sin, we shall be free, And perfect love and friendship reign Through all eternity." Lord I bring before you my day to day angst as a child lost. Oh for your quiet I pray. Let me find comfort in your quieting; a place to cast my cares. Teach me to seek you out as my hiding place and return to thy healing cords of love. To you be all praise, glory and honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment